FFAW-Unifor is a strong supporter of educational initiatives. Below is information on the scholarships available to FFAW-Unifor members and their children.
Fish, Food and Allied Workers (FFAW-Unifor) awards six $500 scholarships every year to eligible dependents of members in good standing.
One application is sufficient for all six scholarships. Two $500 scholarships are available under each category:
- Ray Greening Memorial Scholarship
- Richard Cashin Scholarship Award
- Robert White Scholarship Fund
Two scholarships are in memory of Ray Greening, who died in 1980 at the age of 43. He had been Secretary-Treasurer with the Union for more than a decade.
In June 1993, Cashin retired as leader of FFAW/CAW after more than 20 years as president. In honour of his contribution and dedication to the Union, two scholarships were created in his name.
Robert White had been president of the Canadian Auto Workers (CAW) for eight years. He was instrumental in getting FFAW into the CAW family. In 1992, he was elected president of the Canadian Labour Congress. In recognition of his service to the labour movement in this country, two scholarships were created.
To qualify for any of the six FFAW-Unifor scholarships, candidates must supply the selection committee with the following:
- high school transcript of Level III marks;
- list of any scholarship(s) already received;
- an essay of at least 300 words on the fishing industry, the industry your parent is now employed, or the labor movement.
- a letter of recommendation from either of the following:
- principal of your school or a clergy person of your choice;
- member of the local Union executive or boat delegate.
Candidates must be accepted as first-year students in any post-secondary institution.
Download the application form.
Please note that all applicants will have an equal opportunity of being awarded a scholarship. Those deemed eligible will have their names drawn. In other words, the person with the highest marks will not always be the winner. The deadline for applications is November 30, 2016.
Deadline: Information and application form for 2017 Unifor Scholarships must be received at FFAW-Unifor offices no later than April 20, 2017.
Our National Union, Unifor, annually offers a total of 28 scholarships and are for $2,000 each. These scholarships are awarded to sons/daughters of Unifor members in good standing entering their first year of post secondary education (university, community college, technological institute, teachers' college, nursing school, etc.). They are:
* Jim Ashton (2)
* Cesar Chavez (1)
* Nelson Mandela (2)
* Pat McEvoy (2)
* Terry Fox (2)
* Larry Bauer (2)
* Bud Jimmerfield (2)
* Dan Benedict (2)
* Tommy Douglas (2)
* Victor Reuther (2)
* Dennis McDermott (2)
* Rosemary Brown (2)
* Tom Pickford (2)
One scholarship will be available for Unifor members with at least one year seniority attending their first year of post secondary education. This is an entrance bursary and is not renewable for students entering subsequent years of study.
Submissions should include;
* an official application form (Download the application) signed by a Local Union Officer (to be returned to FFAW-Unifor first).
* letter of recommendation from a teacher, principal or other community activist
* transcript/record of marks (most current record i.e. mid term report is acceptable).
Applicants should ensure that their completed application is submitted to:
Fish, Food & Allied Workers (FFAW-Unifor)
P.O. Box 10, Stn. C
St. John's, NL A1C 5H5
To be received at the FFAW-Unifor offices no later than April 20 to ensure we make the Unifor deadline of April 30.
Do not mail your application to Unifor directly, it must be submitted to FFAW-Unifor first.